We are seeking candidates for the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is responsible for the governance of the Association. In general terms, this means the Board is responsible for supervising the Executive Director, providing strategic planning and vision, and developing and implementing corporate policy.
There are four Directorships up for election this year. Three of these positions are for two-year terms and one is for a one-year term, all starting at the time of the election. The three candidates receiving the highest number of votes will serve for the two-year terms. The election will take place at the April 2017 Annual General Meeting.
Candidates will be acclaimed if the number of candidates running for election is less than or equal to the number of electable positions. In the event of acclamation and if required, the newly elected Board members will determine who shall receive the 1-year term through discussion; in the event that a decision cannot be reached the one year term shall be determined by lot amongst the indeterminate candidates.
Interested candidates are invited to meet directly with current members of the Nominations Committee. If interested in meeting with members of the Nominations Committee, or if you have any questions about what is involved in serving as a Director, please contact the Board Chair, Brian Kells, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Can Run for the Board?
Any OCUA member is eligible to run for the OCUA Board of Directors. Potential candidates can be nominated by the Nominations Committee or by the Membership. The minimum requirement is the submission of the following as a condition of acceptance for the election:
- Signatures of 25 regular members of the Association supporting the candidacy (this requirement is waived if you choose to go through the Nominations Committee; see below)
- Declaration that there is no conflict of interest inherent in the candidacy (for instance, you are not part of a competing organization)
OCUA encourages all candidates to go beyond the minimum requirements by submitting to a formal evaluation process by the OCUA Nominations Committee. This committee’s mandate is to assess candidates against the needs of the Association, and to recommend excellent candidates to the Membership. An endorsement by the Nominations Committee is not a guarantee of election - an open vote of all Members will determine the Board - but it is our hope that a recommendation by the committee will help inform the membership of the efficacy of a potential Director.
The 2017 Nominations Committee is:
- Jim Provost, Director (Committee Chair)
- Laurel Carlton, Director
- Venissa de Castro, Director
Nominations by Committee
To submit your candidacy to the Nominations Committee, please send an email outlining your skills and your interest in serving as a Director, and send it as soon as possible, but no later than Wednesday, March 8th, 2017 at 5PM ET, to: email@example.com
Please include the word "nominations" in the subject line. You will receive confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered for the 2017 election. The Nominations Committee will advise of our endorsement decision to candidates by Friday, March 10th, 2017 at 5PM ET. If you are not successful in obtaining an endorsement from the Nominations Committee you may still run for election by obtaining a nomination from the membership as outlined below.
Nominations from the Membership
If you would like to stand for the Board of Directors, but choose to bypass the Nominations Committee, you must submit your name directly to the Nominations Committee Chair no later than Saturday March 25th, 2017 5PM ET, along with the signatures of 25 regular members of the Association supporting the candidacy, and your Declaration that there is no conflict of interest inherent in the candidacy. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered for the 2017 election.
To submit your candidacy directly to the Committee Chair, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please include the word "candidate" in the subject line. You will receive confirmation of receipt within 24 hours.
In general, the Director position will require:
- A one-year or two-year commitment to the Board
- 2-6 hours of work per week
- Regular communication via email and phone with other Directors and the membership
- Attendance at Board meetings; usually 2 hours in length, occurring monthly. Board meetings usually occur every second Tuesday of the month, with meetings usually occurring in the mornings during the summer months to accommodate league game schedules.
Depending on participation in various projects and committees, this commitment could be increased. Time commitment may also be higher at certain times of year (spring is a usual busy time).
OCUA seeks candidates who are passionate about the sport of ultimate, enthusiastic about the opportunity to grow the Association and possess the following competencies:
- Integrity and mutual support (Spirit of the Game)
- Strong leadership and management capabilities
- Communication and diplomacy skills
- Team-building and facilitation skills
- The ability to be flexible and innovative
- "Big Picture" vision
- The Board of Directors is always interested in candidates with specific skill sets or experience. Experience in any of the following fields is not required, but would be a strong asset:
- Marketing, communications and media relations
- Fundraising & sponsorship
- Facilities management
- Sports management
- Human resources
- Information technology
- Tournaments and member relations
- Risk and safety
We always like to hear from our members. Please contact us if you have any comments, suggestions or feedback at email@example.com
Chair of the Nominations Committee